An update from Linda, project volunteer:
Hurray! I’ve been taking my own photos today, with great support from the ever-patient Helen. The camera itself is daunting, complicated and fragile. However, having set up the table with clean thick white paper as a background, angled the lights, and put the camera to the correct settings we were off.
It was like Christmas! First out of the box was this tiny head of Minerva. The head was terracotta, but at some time it had been fixed to a black wooden plinth. It looked rather like a small female Herm and rather odd, however without the unfortunate plinth the tiny head itself was beautiful.
Also odd, I found, is that in the past the museum stuck identifying labels onto the objects, and sometimes the accession number was actually written on the object itself. Today this would be sacrilegious, but it was normal practice until relatively recently. Now labels are attached with cotton tape so as not to damage the integrity of the artefact. I seem to have remembered all of Helena’s training advice – at least I didn’t drop anything.