Author Archives: Sarah Klopf

Cypriot krater after conservation treatment

Conservation of a Cypriot krater

Object name: Cypriot krater Dimensions: 237 mm x 270mm Age: Iron Age Description: Beige coloured krater with dark brown, geometrical slip decoration. The ceramic was extremely fragile. Due to salt contamination the surface of around 65% of the rim and shoulder was lost or flaking off. The remaining 35% of the rim were broken into eight pieces. […]

Desalinating archaeological ceramics

The problem with salts Breakage, chipped edges, flaked off glaze or slip, detached handles etc. are common and very obvious types of damage that we often find in museum ceramic collections. But there are also more hidden risks for archaeological ceramics that have been buried in the ground for centuries. Soluble salts that have travelled […]

Conservation of a milk bowl from Cyprus

Object Name: milk bowl Dimensions: after reconstruction: height: 100mm   diameter: 235mm Age: Cypriot early Bronze Age Description: Red slipware milk bowl with a long spout and a small handle opposite the spout; round base. The bowl was broken into six pieces on receipt in the conservation lab, two of the breaks seemed fairly recent. The […]

A new hello from the conservation labs

Hi, my name is Sarah and I have taken over from Kirstie who left the museum for pastures new. I am from Germany and trained there as a conservator of archaeological objects and decorative arts. I started at RAMM in 2009 on a conservation student placement and have been working here on and off ever […]